Friday 14 June 2013

School is almost out!

Next week is my final week of school! That means I have WAY more time to build PEDALS! Because I've been occupied by exams and such, I haven't really had time to enjoy my amazing hobby. And I know that I have been lacking on the blog posts. But I assure you that during the summer there will be a lot more building, experimenting, and way more posting on this blog.

Something really cool has happened over the passed couple of days, one of my friends at school asked me build him a pedal. I was really shocked at this proposal because this hobby of mine has now turned into a little business. I let him try out the Red Llama I build a while ago and he seemed to like it. But since he want's something a little original, which is great (it lets me be creative), I decided to add a very simple yet effective mod. Basically, I just need to replace a resistor with wires coming from a switch that switches between two resistors. This increases the gain of the pedal. This mod is simply adding a lead/rhythm switch to control two levels of gain. This switch is actually on the original Craig Anderson Tube Sound Fuzz circuit (which the Red Llama is based on).  I'll be ordering the parts for the second Red Llama very soon and will post some pics of the build. If you want read a post I wrote on how the Red Llama works, click here.

No matter what, this summer is going to be extremely fun! Be sure to check out this blog frequently for new posts and great pictures. Hope you all have a great end of school year!

4 comments:

  1. Also try a sag pot. Wire a 1k pot with lugs 1 and 2 to +9V power supply and 3 to the +9V on the board. Full CW gives you full power while CCW reduces the power supply. This can give the pedal a different tone. On extreme settings (sag on full CCW and Gain on max), you get gated glitchy fuzz whose decay seems to have a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy I'm making it for like it very simple so just 2 knobs and a switch. But a voltage sag knob sounds really cool. I'll try it out on the next pedal I build

      Delete
    2. Oh, the lead/rhythm switch could be a footswitch. I would imagine it would be useful in a live setting.

      Delete
    3. That is very true, sadly I already ordered parts and the electronic stores in my city don't carry stuff for the DIY pedal hobbyist

      Delete