In the summer on 2012 I was looking into a phase pedal. The obvious choice was the Phase 90 by MXR. Now they have a huge selection of phaser pedals. Sadly the one I wanted, script reissue with LED and DC power jack, was pretty expensive. The regular phase 90 was a lot less expensive compared to the script ones. I don't know how but I stumbled across this thing call the script mod. So I've heard of pedal mods before. But I never knew that it was that simple. The Script Mod was basically removing the R28 resistor from the circuit. All I had to do was cut off one of the legs of that resistor. I really like the idea of being able to have a more vintage sounding phaser, but what if I wanted to switch back to the original design if I didn't like it or if the song demanded it. This is where I got the idea of putting in a switch. I'm really glad I put in this switch. To this day I still switch between the stock and script switch to change up the sound. I did this mod last summer and since then I decided to do another mod to the Phase 90, but I'll get into that a little later. Currently my Phase 90 has 2 switches on it. One is the script mod and the other is a tremolo mod. Here are some pictures of my modded phase 90. I'll also give some tips I learned along the way with modding.
So here it is in its beauty
Next you would want to drill a whole accordingly.
This is the next mod I decided to do, it's called the Tremolo mod. I found this in the Wampler book of pedal modifications. It's a great book, thats where I found the mod for my Marshall Guv'nor. This mod does as it's supposed to do, tremolo. But in my experience, it has kinda like a univibe characteristic to it. It does phase but it also swells the volume like a tremolo. The one thing that makes this mod not perfect is that at the peak of volume it almost distorts a little. But I can't really tell in the moment.
For the switch, what I did was have the .1uf cap flush against it for minimal space occupied
As for the placement of the two wires, one wire is attached to one lug of the switch, the other wire is soldered to one leg of the cap, and the other leg of that cap is soldered to the other lug on the switch. I hope thats not confusing. So I have the switch itself on top and the solder on the back.
Then the switch rests in-between some transistors
If you have any questions or comments about these mods, please leave them in the comment section below.